Learning & Loving It is a series featuring simple, yet fun educational activities for home learning and virtual, interactive tutoring.
Try these two games in our “Math Cards” series!
What’s the Value?
One deck of playing cards (with face cards removed); manipulatives (ex. beads, pennies, skittles, etc.)
1. Have the first student turn over a card.
2. The student will then count out the number of manipulatives represented by the number on the card.
3. If there are two players, the second player takes their turn.
Variation: Each player can also state the difference (subtraction), sum (addition) or product (multiplication), adding or removing tokens to reflect the amount, on their turn.
Two decks of playing cards (without face cards); pencil; Card Countdown Sheet
1. Each player takes a deck of cards. Players stack their cards face down.
2. At the same time, players draw the top card from their piles.
3. Players record their own number in the subtract column on the countdown sheet.
4. They then subtract the value from 100 and record the difference at the top of the “=” column.
5. Players continue to draw cards, subtract and record answers, working as quickly and accurately as possible at their own pace.
6. Continue until either both reach zero or a negative number or, if racing, until the first player reaches zero or a negative number.
Check to see the video demonstration.
Click for additional Learning & Loving It activities!