“School bells are ringing, loud and clear; vacation’s over, school is here…”
This fall is shaping up to be another busy semester for the Learning Resource Center and LRC students. In addition to programs such as ACT Prep and SAT Prep, Study Habits of Successful Students for grades 6-8, Get the Competitive Edge…College Success Planning for grades 9-12 and year-round One-to-One Tutoring, LRC is working with the community in the following programs that have just begun or will soon begin.
Taking place now:
21st Century After-School Programs at Polk City Elementary, Loughman Oaks Elementary, Garner Elementary and Lewis-Anna Woodbury Elementary Schools
- Exceptional Student Education for Public and Private Schools
- All Saints Academy Supplemental Services
- PEP After-School Programs at PEP Education Center and Inwood Elementary
Soon to begin:
- Title I Florida Baptist Children’s Home Tutoring Program
- Title I Migrant Program
- Title I Hearth Programs (Homeless Children)
- Sheriff’s Girls Villa
- GRE at Florida Southern College
“But we are glad school has begun. For work is always mixed with fun. When autumn comes and the weather is cool, nothing can take the place of school.” – Winifred C. Mitchell
Who We Help
Camp READY! dates are set for Summer 2016.
If you have a rising or repeating kindergartner, make sure they’re prepared for academic success by enrolling them in the Learning Resource Center’s annual kindergarten-readiness program. On average, Camp READY! students have shown growth of seven months from pre- to post-assessment in just four weeks.
Through hands-on, experiential learning centers lead by qualified teachers, students will experience learning that is fun!
With art, music and movement, cooking, and reading-readiness centers, Camp READY! builds pre-reading skills while also providing a safety net to allow children more time to continue motor, social and cognitive development. Teachers will engage students in themed rich language-laden lessons, while also providing learning opportunities for parent involvement at camp and at home.
The program is designed for students entering or repeating kindergarten in August 2016.
This year, Camp READY! is scheduled to take place at ten campsites throughout Polk County. Each camp will last a total of four weeks, Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. (with the exception of Poinciana & Ft. Meade) Dates vary by camp. (See below)
The cost of camp is $25 for the month and includes a shirt. If this fee causes a financial hardship, please call LRC at 863-688-9477 to discuss scholarship options.
To register your child before spots are filled, please visit lrcpolk.com/programs/camp-ready or call LRC at 863-688-9477.
Camp Locations and dates:
- Frostproof: June 13-July 8, Frostproof Church of God
- Bartow: June 20-July 15, Asbury Methodist Church
- Ft. Meade: June 27-July 21, 8 a.m.-12 p.m., M-Th., Lewis Elementary
- Haines City: June 27-July 22, New Horizon Church
- Lake Wales: June 27-July 22, Mary Norma Campbell Resource Center
- Lake Wales: June 27-July 22, High Point Church of God
- Poinciana: June 27-July 21, 8 a.m.-12 p.m., M-Th, Loughman Oaks Elementary
- North Lakeland: July 5-July 29, Family Fundamentals
- South Lakeland: July 5-July 29, St. David’s Episcopal Church
- Winter Haven: July 5-July 29, PEP Center