The Learning Resource Center has added a new elementary program to its summer lineup.
Camp Rockin’ READ! is designed to help students who have completed grades 1, 2 or 3 enhance their reading, writing and spelling skills using the Orton-Gillingham multi-sensory approach as well as the Barton Reading & Spelling System.
The Orton-Gillingham Approach:
The Orton-Gillingham Approach is multisensory, language-based, structured, sequential, cumulative, cognitive, flexible and individualized instruction.
Multisensory focuses on visual, auditory and kinesthetic learning, engaging sight, sound, touch and motion within the same lesson.
The Barton Reading & Spelling System uses the Orton-Gillingham Approach and also focuses on multisensory learning, aiding students in making connections between sounds and words.
Students who attend Camp Rockin’ READ! will:
- Enjoy hands-on activities to improve reading, writing and spelling skills
- Engage all the senses in the learning process– visual, auditory, and kinesthetic
- Experience increased independence, success, self-esteem, and confidence in the classroom
- Effectively learn to decode words independently using the Barton Reading & Spelling System
- Start the school year with increased skills
Camp will begin Monday, June 25, 2018 at the Learning Resource Center in Lakeland (1628 S. Florida Ave.) and continue for three weeks, ending on Friday, July 13, 2018. The program will take place Monday through Friday from 8:30-11:30 a.m. during that period. There will be no class on Wednesday, July 4, 2018.
The cost of camp is $420. LRC does offer a sliding fee scale based on the family’s gross annual income, so the fee may vary.
The camp size is small, so be sure to enroll your child today. You may register students online by clicking Camp Rockin’ READ!, in person at LRC or by phone at 863-688-9477.